International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graveyard-semp

Go down

Graveyard-semp Empty Graveyard-semp

Post by illustrator Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Dear all,

Strange habits someone gets because of some small plants ... I sometimes stop at a graveyard, and respectfully and quietly walk between the graves. You see, houseleeks are amongst the most commonly cultivated plants on graves ... Of course there are all the colourfull lost-label plants from the local shops, but surprisingly, most plants seem to be all the same clone. I think that it must be old, because these plants look the same on all graveyards in my region. This makes me wonder if it would be possible to find a name for it (as a big exeption under lost-label plants - actually I think that this one never had a "real label" because it probably dates from the time that local people knew only this one houseleek).

It is a very large and healthy looking tectorum-like clone. I will make photo's of the flowers as soon as it flowers ... I wanted to add this plant to my collection but didn't want to become a grave-robber. I think that have it now anyway, because I found similar plants for sale on the local plant-market (Ljubljana BTC). My "bought plant" as a bit longer leaves, but it was probably grown in a more protected place and the market is halfway under a roof also.

Photo from a local grave (August 2010):
Graveyard-semp Semp10

I'll add something more recent and a pic of my plant soon.
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : 100+ Posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Graveyard-semp Empty Re: Graveyard-semp

Post by illustrator Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:59 am

Graveyard-semp Semp210

the market-plant, May 2011

Because of the different season and very different growing circumstances no real comparison can be made between these two pictures. I still think that they might be the same clone!
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by illustrator Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:57 am

Graveyard-semp Semps10
for inspiration (photographed yesterday on a Slovene grave)
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by illustrator Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Update: no way to tell if the market- and graveyard plant are the same or not. I have two local gardenplants from different sources in my collection now which I think is are both the same as the ones from from the graveyards. I suspect that this is a clone which is in local cultivation for a very long time, but it is not very distinct in any way.
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down