International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S. octopodes - news from year 1937!

4 posters

Go down

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! Empty S. octopodes - news from year 1937!

Post by I'm the 1 Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:19 am

In revue Nature 140, page 1057, issued on 18 th December, 1937 it was written:

New Species of Sempervivum

DR. W. B. TURBILL describes a new species of Sempervivum in the Gardeners' Chronicle of October 23. It is S. octopodes Turrill, and was discovered on Mt. Peristeri in north Macedonia, by Dr. R. Seligman, during an expedition with Dr. Giuseppi.

Firts of all - there si no Mt Peristeri in Macedonia .... That's for start. Now one can only guess if Pelister is in question here. Macedonians have no "Mt" word (meaning mountain!), so this is added to a geographical name, it's not a part of it!

Right from the start there is a mistery about the habitat of the plant!

Any Macedonian here to help us sort out this problem.
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! Empty Re: S. octopodes - news from year 1937!

Post by Mildak Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Sempervivum octopodes is strictly endemic of mountain plateau Baba (Pelister), which grows from 2130 m above sea level, almost to the tops of the mountains, the lower the population grows scattered in the undergrowth of pine woods, top, very rich and dense populations are found in full sun in the company Jovibarba heuffelii (var. heuffelii and var. glabra) and Sempervivum reginae-amaliae. Here are some photos I took there this year. Name of Peristeri is probably of Greek origin or truncation

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! Dscn1710

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! 83f-DSCN17

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! 5oj-DSCN17

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! 196-DSCN17

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! Wkr-DSCN17

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! 2ez-DSCN17

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! N7w-DSCN17

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! Ne9-DSCN17

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! Ce3-DSCN17
View of the Baba planina, shot from the road between the towns of Bitola and Ohrid.

Mildak
Mildak
Red Rosette
Red Rosette

Back to top Go down

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! Empty Re: S. octopodes - news from year 1937!

Post by I'm the 1 Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:51 pm

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! 706338 Another bunch of lovely photos!
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko.D Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Great habitat photos!

Here is my plant that came labeled as S. cilliosum subsp. octopodes  (S.octopodes)
collected in  Baba planina, Stiv - above the top, granite, Macedonia.

S. octopodes - news from year 1937! Octo11
Marko.D
Marko.D
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : 200 Posts : 354

Back to top Go down

Post by jezour Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:47 am

I visited Baba planina last summer. I observed there Sempervivum octopodes, Sempervivum marmoreum and Jovibarba heuffelii. I was there at the end of July, many rosettes were blooming in this time.
I observed that S. octopodes grow on very different places - under the pines tree, under the juniper bushes, on the stones, in the nearby of stones on sun...

On the slopes of Stiv mountain
S. octopodes - news from year 1937! 38_Stiv_S_bo

Sempervivum octopodes on the natural habitat
S. octopodes - news from year 1937! 67_Stiv_S_octopodes

Blooms of Sempervivum octopodes
S. octopodes - news from year 1937! 66_Stiv_S_octopodes

I also observed the variability of blooms of Sempervivum octopodes. Main differences were in amount of petals, in presence of red colour on the basis of petals. After the visit the habitat of Sempervivum octopodes, I have more questions than before the visit. Do they grow only in Baba planina mountains? the information about S. octopodes from Nidže mountains is almost sure. Is Sempervivum octopodes species? And what is Sempervivum thompsonianum? Why is Baba planina so different mountains than the mountains in the nearby? Not all thing are caused by the type of rock.
I would like to visit Baba planina mountains again.

jezour
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : many Posts : 165

http://cactus.rastislav.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down