International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S. ballsii ex Tschumba Petzi, Greece - wrong name

2 posters

Go down

S. ballsii ex Tschumba Petzi, Greece - wrong name Empty S. ballsii ex Tschumba Petzi, Greece - wrong name

Post by I'm the 1 Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:30 am

This is the type plant, described by Walle:

Rosettes quite densely-leaved, about 3 cm in diameter, sub-globular, inner leaves closed with the outer leaves more open and erect, glabrous at maturity except for a few marginal cilia. The rosette-colouring is a uniform green with a bronze to red tinge on the outer leaves. The new offsets are produced on short, stout stems. The flowers are dull pink, filaments crimson.

It does not produce new rosettes freely.

Last edited by Renata on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down

S. ballsii ex Tschumba Petzi, Greece - wrong name Empty Re: S. ballsii ex Tschumba Petzi, Greece - wrong name

Post by I'm the 1 Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:55 am

At Tschumba Petchi (mind the name!) E.K. Balls collected the specimen on 26.7.1939. The plant is now in herbarium at Kew Royal Botanical Garden.

R.S. Wale in 1940 used name Tschumba Petzi, which appears more often.

Tschumba Petzi is a part of Grammos Mountais, a mountain range in Albania and Greece.

Unfortunately I can not find any datas on Tsumba Petzi. Can someone help? S. ballsii ex Tschumba Petzi, Greece - wrong name Sad0126
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Back to top Go down

S. ballsii ex Tschumba Petzi, Greece - wrong name Empty Re: S. ballsii ex Tschumba Petzi, Greece - wrong name

Post by jezour Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 am

What about the highest peak of Gramos? The Greek name is Gramos and the Albanian name is Çuka e Peçit! I think, that the name Tschumba Petzi is wrong written. The correct name is Çuka e Peçit.

jezour
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : many Posts : 165

http://cactus.rastislav.net

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm the 1 Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 am

Yes, Jezour, this sounds very much alike!

Çuka e Peçit is the highest peak of Gramos mountain in southeastern Albania - it is 2.523 m high. Was this a part of Greece in 1940?

My oh my, semperology isn't an easy science! lol!

I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jezour Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Yes, it was and it is. The peak lies on the border between Albania a Greece. Çuka e Peçit is the Albanian name and Gramos is the Greek name for one peak.

jezour
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : many Posts : 165

http://cactus.rastislav.net

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm the 1 Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:18 pm

S. ballsii ex Tschumba Petzi, Greece - wrong name 918654 Hm .... riddle solved. Thank you, Jezour!
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down