International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Korean, the name for Sempervivum, kind of

2 posters

Go down

In Korean, the name for Sempervivum, kind of Empty In Korean, the name for Sempervivum, kind of

Post by cactusmcharris Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:46 am

It's 선인장 , pronounced 'sohn een jang', and it actually means 'cactus (and succulent) plant'. I'm still looking for the native Korean word, if there is one - I don't know if Semps naturally extend as far as Korea; some other Crassulaceae live that far, though.

cactusmcharris
cactusmcharris
Red Rosette
Red Rosette

Back to top Go down

In Korean, the name for Sempervivum, kind of Empty Re: In Korean, the name for Sempervivum, kind of

Post by Marko.D Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:06 pm

There are no native Sempervivums in Korea. I don't know Korean word for Sempervivum.

There are some great Crassulaceae in Korea.

Here is a great page with Latin and Korean names of many plants.
http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/hututy/archive/2009/09/13?m=lc

If you seek some plants, you should google it's name in different languages. Whole new internet space opens
Marko.D
Marko.D
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : 200 Posts : 354

Back to top Go down

In Korean, the name for Sempervivum, kind of Empty Re: In Korean, the name for Sempervivum, kind of

Post by cactusmcharris Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Marko,

Thank you for that list of plants - I didn't even think to look for something like that.

Korea, as you know, has Orystachys, and the word for them (pawisol) translates to 'stone brush', which I think it entirely appropriate.

How did you find that page (since it's in Korean)? Do you also read Korean?

Thank you again,

Jeff
cactusmcharris
cactusmcharris
Red Rosette
Red Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko.D Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Jeff,

I didn't knew this Korean word or it's translation. Thank you!

I don't speak or read Korean, and I've found this page
probably accidentally. I often follow pictures and find some interesting pages or even single words that I google again.

Google translator isn't perfect for Korean but It's better than for
Japanese.

This winter and next spring my goal is to connect more with Korean growers so we can exchange knowledge and plants.
I find Meterostachys shikokianus specially attractive.

Do you maybe know Korean language or do you maybe know some growers from Korea?
Do you maybe grow some interesting Orostachys and are you interested in exchange?
I also want to find out more about genus Kungia from China. Any info is welcome.

Marko
Marko.D
Marko.D
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by cactusmcharris Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Marko,

Yes, I speak, read and write Korean (not as well as I used to, but still probably better than most). Again, thanks for that page - I've printed and saved it for study.

And I've met a Korean grower (twice actually, both times at the San Diego Cactus and Succulent Society summer shows - I just need to get out my Korean keyboard template and write him a letter asking about these interesting succulents. I'll let you know what I find out.

Cheers,

Jeff
cactusmcharris
cactusmcharris
Red Rosette
Red Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko.D Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:22 am

What a great news Jeff,
So happy to meet you!

In Korean, the name for Sempervivum, kind of 893699
Marko.D
Marko.D
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down