International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Collins - introduction

2 posters

Go down

John Collins - introduction Empty INTRODUCTION

Post by JOHN COLLINS Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi Everyone ,

Taking a leaf from Renata's post I've decided to do a little intro of myself .
My name is John Collins and I live in Blackburn Lancashire England . I have grown cacti /succulents for about 40 years and have been chairman of nearby Bolton Cactus Society for about 18 years . Unfortunately the society shut at Christmas due to lack of members , a common enough story .I still have an 8 metre long greenhouse full of succulent plants .
I have grown sempervivums /jovibarbas for about 30 years , though at one stage I gave away my collection about 10 years ago to my son in law , when we moved house .
I could see he had lost interest in them and I also realised how much I was missing them , so I reclaimed them and have been rebuilding my stocks ever since .
During my hobby time I have had the good fortune to visit and stay with David Ford , the English hybridiser and learn a lot from him .
Also I bought plants from the German nursery of the Countess von Zeppelin, of the airship dynasty and became a penpal for a while , being invited to accompany her and other botanists on a plant hunting trip in Eastern Europe . Unfortunately I was a young married man , young children and limited funds, so could not afford to go ...a source of some regret now .
Like Renata , I like buying /swapping new stock every year to keep the collection fresh , though the Euro exchange rate has made European purchases very expensive this time .
I grow my plants on raised tables with concrete block legs , which means they're away from slugs , easy to weed and great to stand and admire them .
I like to propagate and swap plants , but this year the offer to exchange has been met with virtual silence, so that's quite disappointing for me . Still its not too late , so anyone can still shout up !!!

Regards

John

JOHN COLLINS
Bronze Rosette
Bronze Rosette

Back to top Go down

John Collins - introduction Empty John Collins - introduction

Post by I'm the 1 Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 am

Hm ...

John, I "know" you for years, but there are some facts in your introduction I have not known. Giving away your collection and reclaming it? John Collins - introduction 118907

Frau Zeppelin died few years ago and though the nursery is very respectablie, they do not put enough attention to their / her cultivars. Sadly, they can not all be bought at the nursery.
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down