International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sempervivum balcanicum

2 posters

Go down

Sempervivum balcanicum Empty Sempervivum balcanicum

Post by jezour Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:09 am

What do you know about Sempervivum balcanicum? This species was described in year 1951. The plants were collected by the group of the Bulgarien botanists in year 1939 - Stará planina mountains, central part of the mountains, location - peak of the mountain Mara Gidik, at 2000 m to 2200 m above sea level, in granite rocks.

Since the year 1939 nobody has visited these places to explore these plants. There is one problem - the altitude. The plants should grow in 2000 m to 2200 m above sea level, but the top of Mara Gidik is only at 1890 m above sea level (we can say, the altitude is not exact - look at the year of discovery the plants).

In summer this year (2010) I had the chance to visit the mountain of Mara Gidik. I have visited these places only with one friend, the rest of the "expedition" stayed in the valley. We have been there only one afternoon in this shire. But we have found this plants.

Mara Gidik
Sempervivum balcanicum 2maragidik

The top of Mara Gidik - the weather was not nice...
Sempervivum balcanicum 4starplaninavrcholmarag

The top of Mara Gidik - view of Botev (the highest peak of Stará planina - in the fog)
Sempervivum balcanicum 12maragidikbotevvzadu

Outcome? The plants are here! Pictures can say more than my words.

Sempervivum balcanicum 13sempervivumbalcanicum

Sempervivum balcanicum 7sempervivumbalcanicum

Sempervivum balcanicum 10sempervivumbalcanicum

Sempervivum balcanicum 10sempervivumbalcanicum

Sempervivum balcanicum 15sempervivumbalcanicum

Discussion:

1. The Sempervivums are growing only on the top of Mara Gidik, the habitat is not big, there are approximately hundreds plants.
2. We have been in this area only one afternoon. Stará planina is quite big mountanis, there should be more habitats, or we have not overview of another Sempervivums in these mountains. It is necessary to spend there more time.
3. Sempervivum balcanicum belongs to Sempervivum marmoreum complex (subsp. or var.). It is necessary to explore the mountains to see another Sempervivums and to understand the connections between the plants.

What do you say?

jezour
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : many Posts : 165

http://cactus.rastislav.net

Back to top Go down

Sempervivum balcanicum Empty Re: Sempervivum balcanicum

Post by I'm the 1 Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:59 pm

Breathtaking photos!

Unfortunately I'm no good in classification.

Name - basionym and synonyms - goes something like this:

S. balcanicum Stoj. (1951)

S. marmoreum var. balcanicum (Szoj.) Stoj. et Stef. (1956)

S. marmoreum subsp. marmoreum var. balcanicum ???

S. marmoreum var. balcanicum (Wale) Zonneveld (1999)

I myself have no record of any exact habitat - list of feloww collectors included!
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down

Post by jezour Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:51 pm

There is one record about the habitat of S. balcanicum - the description: the type was collected by the group of Bulgarian botanists on the top of the mountain Mara Gidik (Konop R., 1987: Netřesky, Praha). I can not find the original description (on internet - but I have found the original description of S. kindingeri).

jezour
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : many Posts : 165

http://cactus.rastislav.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down