International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kubed

2 posters

Go down

Kubed Empty Kubed

Post by illustrator Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:38 am

Kubed is a village in the Primorska region in Slovenia. Above the village there is a natural rock wall. On top of the wall is an old fortified church called Sveti Florijan (Holy Florijan). There are a lot of houseleeks on the wall. However, I believe that these are an old introduction of cultivated plants and not a natural locality because:

- they grow on only part of the wall and not more to the right, where the wall looks equally suitable

- they grow in very large clusters, unlike the native Sempervivum which typically grow in very small clusters of only a few plants

- they grow associated with very large clumps of irises, which also give a "cultivated" appearance

- a few semps are very pale coloured, as a cultivar and unlike wild plants

Kubed Kubed_10

Kubed Kubed_11

Kubed Kubed_12

Kubed Kubed_13

Kubed Kubed_14
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : 100+ Posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Kubed Empty Re: Kubed

Post by I'm the 1 Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 am

Beautiful photos! Kubed 640321 Have you done some climbing?
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down

Post by illustrator Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Fortunately there is no real need to climb here: from underneath you can have a good view at a few meters distance.

I was actually on the way back from the hill Kuk, which is part of the Kraški Rob system. I was hoping to be able to photograph native houseleeks on Kuk, but didn't see any. I have seen only a small part of Kuk, so it's inconclusive again. I have difficulties finding the "many localities" which are supposed to be at Kraški Rob, for instance I searched quite a lot around Črni kal -also unsuccessfull.
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by illustrator Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 pm

I passed Kubed yesterday. I expected to see flowering irisses, but was somewhat disapointed. Not only was the majority past flowering, the few last flowers that were open were clearly Iris barbata, so garden irisses. A minority of plants has longer flower stalks and is not yet flowering: I think that these are the endemic Iris pallida: one typical flower was already open and confirmed this. Below the wall, in a village garden, was a flowering clump of Iris pallida. This all confirms what I already suspected: the fantastic wall vegetation under the church is not natural, but in stead a planted "garden" on a natural rock wall.

The semps are green, without the greyish look which native semps from Primorska often have. They have relatively pointed leaves with reddish brown tips. In fact, I have the impression that most, perhaps even all, are just one clone. There is variation, of course, but not more than I would expect because of growing circumstances. They make really long stolons, at least up to 15 cm and sometimes more. My impression is that this is rare in the local native semps and it is another indication that these plants might come from "who knows where" ...  

Neverteless: it is a really nice "garden"!
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by illustrator Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:42 pm

p.s. Iris pallida is in this case the same as Iris illyrica or Iris pallida ssp. illyrica. I mean the locally native and very beautifull Iris.
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by illustrator Sun May 04, 2014 10:10 pm

I have revisited the site yesterday: none of the Irisses is native: on the wall are all I. barbata/germanica, which are past flowering. Besides the wall are many clumps of "modern garden hybrids". The "pallida-like" plant in the village is also a modern garden hybrid (I saw real pallida some days ago for easier comparison).
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum