Moss

Go down

Moss

Post by joop huyslook on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Dear friends,

What is the best way to get rid of all types of moss in the pots? After this wet autumn and winter (2011/2012), I am very much troubled by various types of moss in my pots with Sempervivum. Removing them is a very tedious job. What would be the best way to do this quickly? What instruments should be used and what is the best time to do it? And do you really have to remove every tiny bit of it? Will moss survive after a long period of drought? Is moss disencouraged by using certain fertilizers? What is the best material to use as a topping in the pots? Are there any chemicals that can be used to kill moss? In short, any kind of advice would be most welcome and I gladly would like to know your experience in fighting moss.

Joop.

joop huyslook
Silver Rosette
Silver Rosette

Back to top Go down

Re: Moss

Post by I'm the 1 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 am

Joop, I can not give an advice. I've been fighting moss for years now and I've only grow old and wiser, but the moss is still there!

At first I thought moss is growing because I've used substrat with some peat in it. For two years now I've been using substrat with no peat, but the moss still apears in the pots.

I do not water my plants and there are times when semps are really dry, rosettes start to close up, and moss seems to be "lifeless" ... but yet it does not die - or maybe it starts all over from the spores?!

For three years I've been using marble peebles to cover the substrat - and yes, the moss is still there! It seems to grow on the peebles ...

I take it off from the pots with tweezers, the same way I take off dry leaves. I try to do as much of this as the time allows me, but with some 6.000 pots this is no fun. Summer is just too short!

They say moss apears because of shadow - but my plants get 4/5 of the daily sun, they are in the shadow only for a short period ...

I was thinking of using this: http://en.unichem.si/?tpl=produkt&pid=1325, but my friend said this might be bad for Sempervivums.

I have like 2 or 3 different moss types, one of them looks like this: http://www.mezica.si/mah.html

So?! What to do now, that is the question!
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down

Post by joop huyslook on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Renata,

Thank you for your reply! It comforts me to know I am not the only one with a moss problem.
My plants too receive plenty of sun, but even after weeks of heat and drought, when even the semps start to wither, the moss simply revives after the first drop of rain.
I grow nearly all my semps on seramis, a baked clay granulate, but also in this substrat moss prospers.
I hope still someone comes up with some good advice.

joop huyslook
Silver Rosette
Silver Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm the 1 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:15 am

When I look at photos of German growers in their forum / list I wonder why the plants are so neat. Maybe it's because they take away all the moss, or maybe it's because the moss is simply no option in their collections. I too would like to know how to get rid of it in a simple and effective way!
I'm the 1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joop huyslook on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:37 pm

The Germans must have a secret! I hope they will share it with us.

joop huyslook
Silver Rosette
Silver Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by majcka on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:26 pm

The moss likes a acidic soils. If there is any way to do that with no injuries for the semps....
How influence would it have for the semps if the substrate would be mixed with some slaked lime?
majcka
Silver Rosette
Silver Rosette

Number of plants : not much Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm the 1 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Not all semps like lime ...
I'm the 1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by illustrator on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:43 pm

I found S. tectorum growing in nature in 100% moss cover (Triglav National Park - I have to digg out a picture). I think that some moss is not a problem, but liverworths tend to seal off the soil so it stays moist for a longer time, and this can be bad, especially for young, slow growing semps.
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : 100+ Posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Post by sueshells on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Moss has been a problem for me too - I have no quick solution (sorry). I just tend to turn my semps out of their pots and scrape away the moss with an ordinary small fork - the sort you eat your meals with. I find that this is one of my most useful garden tools - I use the handle end to make planting holes and the fork bit to clean plants and add small amounts of compost or grit under the rosettes.

sueshells
Silver Rosette
Silver Rosette

Number of plants : 200 Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by LabourofLove on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:06 am

I prefer a dental scaling tool for getting moss away from close to the plant. I've limed. I've dug the moss out, I've topdressed with compost. Time will tell how successful these procedures have been.

LabourofLove
Red Rosette
Red Rosette

Number of plants : 140 Posts : 23

http://www.labouroflovelandscaping.com

Back to top Go down

Post by illustrator on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Photograph taken in Nature, today (Slovenia, Bohinj). S. tectorum growing happily in moss lol! Sometimes we're seeing problems where there are no problems at all for the plants.
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by LabourofLove on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Yes, it appears happy. The moss I had (on the other hand) was growing ON the leaves of the semps.

LabourofLove
Red Rosette
Red Rosette

Number of plants : 140 Posts : 23

http://www.labouroflovelandscaping.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sueshells on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14 pm

LabourofLove wrote:Yes, it appears happy. The moss I had (on the other hand) was growing ON the leaves of the semps.

Crikey - I've never had that problem, not even this year during the monsoon which is passing for an English summer. I get different sorts of moss - tight little emerald clumps or longer, straggly stuff - but all of it is in the pots rather than on the plants.

Have to say that some of my more neglected plants have grown quite happily in mossy pots for many years. When repotting I am inclined to remove three or four rosettes and pot them up, leaving the remainder to "do later" (often years later, poor little things).

sueshells
Silver Rosette
Silver Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm the 1 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:13 am

I've noticed long ago that Sempervivums in pots with moss start growing and reproducing slowlier than the other. There are very little young plants and the plants completly surrounded with moss seems to be "standing still" ...
I'm the 1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sueshells on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:53 am

Renata wrote:the plants completly surrounded with moss seems to be "standing still" ...

I wonder if the offsets just get smothered by the moss so that the plant is unable to reproduce. I find that there are very many dead leaves under the moss cover - the sempervivum which shows is just the growing tip really. If I repot from a mossy pot I get a rosette at the end of quite a long stalk. Being sempervivums, and true to their name, I just reduce the length to something more sensible, often just a single rosette with bit of stem without roots, and pot it up - they always grow. Very Happy

sueshells
Silver Rosette
Silver Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by illustrator on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:45 pm

A rosette is in fact a plant with a very short stem. As a reaction on dark conditions, semps can elongate their stem.

In the mossy/shady condtions where I found S. tectorum yesterday, the plants were relatively small and i found none that flowered. I think that such a plant with a elongated stem growing in a thick layer of moss represents the extreme, we are just more used to the other extreme: compact rosettes in full sun on very dry substrate. Both extremes occur in nature! I learn a lot from seeing them in nature, and really start to appreceate their adaptability.
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum