International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In vitro multiplication of J. sobolifera

2 posters

Go down

In vitro multiplication of J. sobolifera Empty In vitro multiplication of J. sobolifera

Post by I'm the 1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:03 am

You can read about invitro multiplication of J. sobolifera here: http://www.bio.uaic.ro/publicatii/anale_biochimie/data/archive/papers/2010/4/T_XI_F_4_L_20.pdf
Text is followed by photos.

Please look at the last photo. Is this really a J. sobolifera?

In vitro multiplication of J. sobolifera T1617
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down

In vitro multiplication of J. sobolifera Empty Re: In vitro multiplication of J. sobolifera

Post by illustrator Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:51 pm

It is hard to say from a black and white photograph of a plant grown in a laboratory, but to me it looks more like S. tectorum or perhaps S. montanum or a hybrid. The article doesn't mention the source of the plants, but like you I doupt that it is a Jovibarba at all.

The argument that in-vitro propagation is helpfull for conservation of rare houseleeks could be valid in case of plants which form very few offshoots naturally, but hardly for Jovibarba sobolifera which is generally very easy to propagate. In this case I would think of monitoring population status, perhaps some habitat management and if needed setting up a backup collection in a botanical garden.

I think that this mainly has been a valuable practical experience in plant propagation for the researcher (student?) and perhaps might lead to interesting further research. I woudn't dismiss it, but some more critical notes might be added ...
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : 100+ Posts : 224

Back to top Go down