International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would someone tell me why

4 posters

Go down

Would someone tell me why Empty Would someone tell me why

Post by cactusmcharris Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:44 am

J. heuffelii is different from the rest of the Jovibarba - why it has its own section here at the ISF?

Thank you,

Jeff
cactusmcharris
cactusmcharris
Red Rosette
Red Rosette

Back to top Go down

Would someone tell me why Empty Re: Would someone tell me why

Post by I'm the 1 Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Well, the price of a J. heuffelii rosette is 5 times the price the one of Sempervivum. Would someone tell me why 858425 Yeep, I better stop joking!

The fact is that J. heuffelii and it's cultivars are gaining popularity among Euroean collectors. Some say that the plain J. heuffelii is more beautiful than an "ordinary" semp. They claim the cultivars of J. heuffelii to have more vivid colours as cultivars of Sempervivums. They talk of this plant with the respect!

And if the price (resulted by the fact the divison of J. heuffelii is difficult!) was not so high .... there would be more J. heuffelii collectors!
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down

Post by sueshells Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:32 am

Jovibarba heufelli is very distinctive and different from the other Jovibarba species. It is by far the showiest and, as Renata says, it is gaining a following amongst collectors. Here in the UK the number of cultivars available is limited compared with mainland Europe. I have contacted Volkmar Schara in the hope of importing plants but, so far, have had no response, despite his website saying that he ships world wide. Very disappointing!

I have a lovely seedling which I have been growing on for about three years. I am hoping to split it next year and may have some divisions available two years after that. One reason why J. heufellii cultivars are so much more expensive than semps.

sueshells
Silver Rosette
Silver Rosette

Number of plants : 200 Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHN COLLINS Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,

The Heuffelli must be treated like a true succulent .

Whilst you can pull off semp pups and root , you must always cut the Heuff tuberous root with a sharp knife, powder the cuts with yellow or green sulphur and leave them to dry off for 2 weeks . Only then repot in a gritty soil, with extra grit by the cut area .

If you immediately pot up after division it will rot . Early season is believed to be best time to propagate .

I have just cut up a fair number of stock plants and will have swaps/sales in mid July .

Plants are more expensive because of very slow growth and minimal offsetting.

Best Wishes

John

JOHN COLLINS
Bronze Rosette
Bronze Rosette

Back to top Go down

Post by sueshells Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:22 pm

If left as a clump for long enough (possibly several years) many J. heuffelii rosettes will actually fully divide and become separate plants which can be potted up immediately. I prefer to leave my Jovis as long as possible to reduce the very real threat that rosettes, when cut apart, will rot. Not all J. heuffelii will separate likethis, however, some stay stubbornly joined together!

sueshells
Silver Rosette
Silver Rosette

Number of plants : 200 Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum