International Sempervivum forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh, what a summer it was!

2 posters

Go down

Oh, what a summer it was! Empty Oh, what a summer it was!

Post by I'm the 1 Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:59 am

Winter countdown banner

and summer is long forgotten! Oh, what a summer it was!

I like hot summer days, but this year I got everything but that! Here in Slovenia we've had rather everage summer temps untill mid July and after that rain started that seems never to end. In mid September we've had floods all over the country, it was one in a lifetime flood situation. Luckily my house and semp garden are safe.

The result of such weather conditions is that I got very little chicks and also the flowers seems to be only 1/10 of the number compared to the one a year ago.

Some chicks have not even started to develope it's own roots and will most probably parrish during winter.

It feels like there was no summer!

Summer countdown banner
I'm the 1
I'm the 1
Admin

Number of plants : 2.000 Posts : 5336

Back to top Go down

Oh, what a summer it was! Empty Re: Oh, what a summer it was!

Post by illustrator Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:42 pm

At the beginning of all this rain I purchased a very nice collection of plants with locality data. These were quite shaken during transport, then they got from a lowland nursery to my 750 m altitude and wet, wet, so wet and sooo dark. I had some losses (I definately can NOT blame the nursery for that!), and just hope that these plants still have the strength to survive winter, which can be x months of snowcover. Actually i think that snow will be A LOT BETTER than rain... None of me new plants has grown in any visible way. Hope that next year will be better.

But now at least cold nights have returned and the semps in nature start to colour so nice. I just posted a few photographs at "habitats". These wild semps don't seem to suffer much, no rotting leaves at all.
illustrator
illustrator
Golden Rosette
Golden Rosette

Number of plants : 100+ Posts : 224

Back to top Go down